HOPKINS GIRLS BASKETBALL TOURNAMENT RULES
1) Two 14 minute “stop time” halves in all grades. If a team holds a 20 or more point lead within the last 7 minutes of the game, it will change to “running time” until the lead is 10 points or less
2) The first overtime will be 2 Minutes long. The second overtime (if needed) will be Sudden Death victory (meaning the 1st team to score wins). There will be a 2 minute break before each overtime period
3) Teams will be given a 5- minute grace period if not present at the scheduled game time. Teams not ready to play with five players after the grace period will forfeit that game
4) Intermission will be 3 minutes per half.
5) Each team will be allowed 3 – 1 minute timeouts per game. One timeout will be allowed for overtime except for sudden death victory overtimes. Unused timeouts do not carry over.
6) The home team will be the team listed on the top of the bracket (or left column for pool play). The home team shall provide the game ball (28.5 size ball) and has choice of jersey color if necessary. Also the home team for every game will be responsible for providing an official scorer for the scorebook at the scorer’s table.
7) There will be no exceptions as to the type of defense allowed during the tournament, except:
- No full – court pressing will be allowed by a team with a lead of 20 points or more. After the first
warning, the penalty for each violation of this rule will be a technical foul.
- Zone defense is not allowed at the 4th or 5th grade levels at all
- Teams in 4th grade may NOT full court press. They are also strongly encouraged to play person-to-person defense in the half-court.
8) In each half, bonus free throws (1 and 1) on the 7th team foul and double bonus (2 shots) on the 10th team foul will be awarded. A player with 5 fouls will be disqualified from the game. A team cannot use a player with 5 fouls for participation in the game. Teams must have 5 players to begin a game, but may finish with less than 5 players if necessary
9) Technical fouls will not be shot. Technical fouls are an automatic 2 points and possession of the ball. Technical fouls are also counted as team fouls and player fouls
10) 2 technical fouls given to 1 player or coach during the course of the tournament will result in their suspension from the rest of the tournament.
11) The 3 point field goal will be allowed on floors that are properly marked.
12) Fourth Grade free throw line will move forward 2 feet
13) No protest allowed. Referees and tournament officials will settle all disputes on the floor
14) Minnesota State High School League Rules shall govern in all other situations
15) Coaches are responsible for their actions and the actions of their players and fans. Inappropriate behavior will not be tolerated. Officials have the authority to forfeit games if necessary because of unsportsmanlike conduct.
Tournament Directors reserve the right to remove from the tournament premises, or refuse admission to any individual in the sole discretion of the tournament directors.
T-shirts will be awarded to 1st, 2nd place teams in pools/brackets of 4 teams and also 3rd place teams in pools/brackets of 6 or more.
1. Head to head. If 3 way tie, then 2-4 apply
2. Point differential of all games played with a max of 15 points per game. (Forfeits count as a 15 point differential)
3. Lowest total points allowed in all games
4. Coin toss