Hopkins Girls Basketball Association is open to all girls in grades 4 through 8 who either live in the Hopkins School District or attend a school in the district (this includes schools that are not Hopkins district public schools).
We work to keep our program one of the most affordable programs around and to give an opportunity for everyone to join regardless of financial need. Parent, guardian and volunteer help give us that opportunity. We are also seeking local business sponsorship again this year. Full details about the costs of the program can be found on our registration page.
All skill levels are welcome. HGBA strives to provide opportunity to players who want to participate in our program. To meet this goal, HGBA may need to create combination teams, but at times cuts are necessary. The best way to ensure this goal is met is to help keep participant numbers up so that multiple teams can be formed at each grade level.
Coaches & Games:
Coaches for Grades 6, 7 and 8 are typically paid coaches
* Qualified parent coaches can be considered for 6-8 grade unpaid positions as need arises. Coaching director and/or High School coach will typically assess and make a recommendation.
Coaches for Grades 3-5 are typically volunteer/parent coaches
* Parent coaches will be assessed by the coaching coordinator and/or the High School coach to determine the best fit. In the event that a grade 4-5 team cannot obtain a parent coach, paid coaches will be considered but need board approval and confirmation that HGBA funds are available.
The 2021 HGBA season runs from October thru March. Practices start in October and teams will play 8-12 local weekend tournaments depending on age. Details by grade are below.
3rd Grade - $150
4th Grade - $300
5th Grade - $350
6th Grade - $400
7th Grade - $450
8th Grade - $450
All teams practice twice weekly, Monday-Thursday. Practice days and times are based on gym availability. Check your team's calendar for exact dates and locations.
Grade 3 practice 2 times per week for 1 hour
Grades 4 & 5 practice 2 times per week for 1.5 hours
Grades 6, 7 & 8 practice 2 times per week for 2 hours
Weekend tournaments are typically played at different levels (A, B, C)
Grades 4 & 5 will play in 8-9 weekend tournaments
Grades 6, 7 & 8 will play in 10-12 weekend tournaments
*5th-8th graders typically play in one overnight tournament
Hopkins Girls Basketball Association (HGBA) – 3rd Grade Program
For the 2021-2022 season, we are excited to offer an opportunity for 3rd graders to play on an HGBA 3rd grade team. This developmental program will allow for 3rd graders to engage with HGBA, focusing on the fundamentals of basketball in a fun environment while also gaining valuable tournament experience.
HGBA is an inclusive organization focused on developing and empowering young student athletes to achieve excellence in basketball and in life:
- We aim to find an appropriate team placement for all girls
- We value the Well Rounded Athlete
- We believe in frequent, open & honest communication
- We foster a connection to the high school program
- 3rd Grade season will begin Week of January 3rd and run through the MYAS Grade State Tournament
- Practices will be 2x/week for 1 hour
- 3rd Grade Team will play in approximately 3 tournaments
- 3rd graders will register in the Fall & participate in Evaluations 9/18-9/19
Still have questions? Check out our FAQ section.